How do you work out what we want / need?

Everything we do starts with a FREE, no obligation initial consultation and quote.  During this initial visit, we discuss your lifestyle and how the alterations will enhance your lives.  We can then give advice on what may achieve this.

How much will my plans cost?

Due to every clients needs being unique, this is a complex question.  However, after the initial consultation, we will provide a written quotation, detailing our costs and other likely costs such as Planning Applications, Building Regulation Submissions and any other specialists.

Do I need planning permission?

Unfortunately this is not straight forward.  Most properties benefit from General Permitted Development Rights.  These allow various building works to be carried out without the need for formal consent.  Further information can be found at https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission. Please note that some properties have had these rights removed by the council.  You may be able to determine this by calling your Local Authority Planning Department.  However, as part of our work, we can obtain confirmation either way.

How long does planning permission take?

For Householder Applications, the Government allow a statutory 8 weeks.  We keep in close contact with the planning department during this time and will liaise with them and you to try and make this process as smooth as possible.

What happens during the Planning Process?

This depends on the amount of work proposed, but guidance can be found here:


What other approvals will I need?

Most building work requires Building Regulations approval as well.  This can be either through the Local Authority or an Approved Inspector.  We can discuss this with you in more detail and advise on likely cost after our initial visit.

What other costs might I incur?

There may be a need to appoint a Structural Engineer, this will be charged at cost. Additionally and only in exceptional circumstances there may be the need to appoint specialist consultants, once again these will be charged at cost.

Do I need to let my Neighbour know?

At the Planning stage, the Local Authority will write to your neighbour and notify them of the planning application.  It is always a good idea to let your neighbour know in advance so that this doesn’t come as a complete surprise.

In addition, depending on the type of work there may be a need to notify your neighbours of the proposed works in accordance with the Party Wall etc Act 1996.  More help and advice can be found at


Once again, we can provide assistance in this respect including the issue of all necessary forms etc.

I have heard people mention CDM, what does this mean?

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) are the main set of regulations for managing the health, safety and welfare of construction projects.

If you are about to alter or extend your house or buildings, thinking of putting up a new one or demolishing an existing one, then the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM2015) place a number of specific duties on you as a construction Client.

Further guidance can be found at




As part of our normal level of services, we do not fulfil the role of Principal Designer as defined within Regulations.  We will however perform our duties as a designer to the extent that they apply to this commission and to ensure compliance with the Regulations.

What do I do next?

Call us……it’s that simple.  We will agree a time to come and see you.  It’s an informal chat and we will then be able to provide you with details and a fee proposal.